Pop-Up Frostburg brings together entrepreneurs, artists, makers, and small businesses with local property owners to activate vacant spaces in downtown Frostburg. The vision for the program is to cultivate an encouraging environment for entrepreneurs by increasing storefront occupancy and fostering sustainable businesses that enhance downtown Frostburg revitalization. Frostburg is home to unique small businesses, a thriving arts community, and creative entrepreneurs. FrostburgFirst believes that expanding active retail spaces will benefit residents, existing businesses, and visitors alike.
The Pop-Up Frostburg program is intended to attract small retailers and/or service-based businesses to the Frostburg Arts & Entertainment District by offering assistance with start-up costs including rent, utilities, materials, insurance, and marketing to give the selected businesses the opportunity to test their products and services. FrostburgFirst hopes the program will create opportunities for future business owners who have had trouble finding accessible, affordable, and flexible spaces and allow them to create, expand, and nurture their small business with relatively low risk in downtown Frostburg.
Vision: Cultivate an encouraging environment for entrepreneurs in downtown Frostburg.
Mission: To develop and implement a pop-up shop/business incubator program to increase storefront occupancy and create sustainable businesses that enhance downtown Frostburg revitalization.
Applications are now open for Pop-Up Frostburg 2022!
Selected applicants will occupy the storefront at 18 E. Main Street in downtown Frostburg for a minimum period of 2 weeks and a maximum period of 6 weeks, with a minimum average of 24 hours of operation a week. Selected applicants are not guaranteed exclusive access to the premises and may be paired with another vendor/business if deemed appropriate.
At this time, we are only accepting applications for retail businesses. No food-prep will be permitted on site, although pre-made food or beverage items may be included as inventory. Accepted applicants will be solely responsible for any required health department permits or inspections and must present documentation prior to occupancy.
Pop-Up Frostburg is funded through the Maryland Project Restore grant program and grant funds from the MD Department of Housing and Community Development Main Street Improvement program.
● The Pop-Up Frostburg program will accept applications on an ongoing basis for the duration of the current program round (June 1, 2022 – January 31, 2023). The submission of an application does not guarantee acceptance in the program or a term at the premises. Applicants will have the option to indicate a preference for a specific time period, but final determination will be made by FrostburgFirst.
● Please submit the attached application to FrostburgFirst at email@example.com or mail to FrostburgFirst at 41 E Main St., Frostburg, MD 21532.
● A complete application will include 2-5 images of your products or proposed idea and/or 1-2 samples of marketing materials
● If accepted, participants will be required to sign a sub-lease contract with FrostburgFirst for the duration of the participant’s occupancy.
● While it is not required, we do encourage accepted applicants to invest in Pop-Up insurance for the duration of the occupancy.
● For serious consideration, applicants must be willing to set regular business hours that reflect the business district for the Pop-Up location (for example: Wednesday – Saturday, 11 am – 7 pm, or 24 hours a week).
● Applicants chosen for the program must participate in a brief orientation session with FrostburgFirst staff covering topics relevant to good business practices in Frostburg.