FrostburgFirst, the Main Street Program for Frostburg, MD, is seeking applicants for a part-time Promotions/Communications Coordinator position (25-30 hours per week at $15 per hour).
FrostburgFirst is a non-profit Maryland Main Street Community that works with municipal, business, and community partners to develop and foster a prosperous, vibrant, sustainable, and resilient downtown Frostburg. Primary duties will be to work with staff, volunteers, businesses, and organizations to assist in managing FrostburgFirst promotional, marketing, and operational activities, utilizing the Maryland Main Street 5-Point Approach.
Qualifications & Skills:
• Bachelor’s Degree in related area of study (Mass Communications, English, Business Administration, Marketing/Public Relations) preferred, but not required. Experience considered in lieu of education.
• Minimum of two years related work experience, such as: marketing, public relations, volunteer engagement, customer service, social media management, sales, customer relations management, or event planning.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office/Google Suite and social media. Experience with WordPress preferred.
• Graphic design background a plus.
• Experience with administrative duties a plus, but not required.
This job entails both inside and outside activities, sitting or standing for extended periods of time, and occasionally lifting and/or moving up to 30 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must be able to operate a vehicle or have means to be transported to and from various locations within the State of Maryland. The position requires the ability to occasionally work on the weekend or evenings to staff events when necessary. The position is open to full-time advancement after an appropriate probationary period as determined by the FrostburgFirst Board of Directors.
A successful candidate needs organizational and time-efficiency skills, the ability to work independently, manage multiple projects simultaneously, consistently meet deadlines, and complete tasks with accuracy and high level of quality. The candidate must be able to serve as the staff liaison for meetings of events committees and networking opportunities where collaboration exists. Successful candidate must possess strong oral, written, and interpersonal skills and the ability to work with people of all ages and backgrounds. The ideal candidate will be upbeat, high-energy, disciplined, self-motivated, have a predisposition to manage stress, and remain calm in high-pressure situation.
The position will remain open until filled. To be considered, please send in applications as soon as possible.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Deirdre Robertson (Executive Director) at email@example.com with the subject heading: Promotions – Communications Coordinator Application.
Promotions & Communications Coordinator Job Description:
• Work with staff, volunteers, businesses, and organizations to assist in managing FrostburgFirst events and promotional, marketing, and operational activities, utilizing the Maryland Main Street 5-Point Approach.
• Serve as the staff liaison for FrostburgFirst Promotions Committee.
• Assist Executive Director in coordinating all FrostburgFirst events and promotional activities.
• Work with the Executive Director to coordinate additional projects in the community.
• Work in marketing/promoting the organization and its mission.
• Assist in fundraising initiatives.
• Provide administrative support to the Executive Director as needed.
• Oversee intern/volunteer activity as it relates to events and promotions.
• Support the Executive Director in the daily function of the program and operation of the office.
• Complete other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
1. Social Media: Manage a content calendar for Facebook and Instagram. Create a content calendar for any additional social media platforms on which FrostburgFirst promotes.
• Schedule regular postings on each platform;
• Manage comments and insights of social media activity;
• Strategize ways to gain new followers (searching hashtags, location tags, etc.);
• Creation of graphics, flyers, FB events, etc. for social media and print circulation;
• Monitor Frostburg Business Owners Facebook group;
• Respond to private messages sent on social media.
2. Events/Promotions: Assist in coordinating all FrostburgFirst events and promotions with Executive Director.
• Create/collect submission forms from vendors, artists, and business owners (paper and digital forms);
• Maintain databases of participant info and payment status;
• Assist in assessing volunteer needs and recruiting qualified volunteers;
• Social media promotion;
• Overall event coordination (City permissions, payment processing, grant funding, and other logistical details are handled by the Executive Director)
3. Publications: Keep maps and brochures stocked:
• At kiosks (Frostburg Trail Head, intersection of Depot St. and Main, and the FBG Post Office).
• At all local businesses and visitor stops.
4. Manage online content.
• Keep website events calendar up-to-date;
• Update Frostburg business/artist members in digital directory as needed;
• Write blog posts as needed/when inspiration strikes;
• Create specialized pages with event info (Holiday Events, Arts Walk, Small Biz Saturday, Pig Out in the Park, etc.);
• Update web page content on an as-needed basis;
• Monitor web comments and inquiries submitted through the site;
• Upload major Frostburg events to MD Mountainside (Allegany County Tourism) website and MD Tourism, as well as any other event tracking sites;
• Work with Executive Director on publication of monthly e-newsletter.
5. Other Promotions Duties as needed, including:
• Distribute materials/flyers/posters to Downtown Businesses (“walkarounds”);
• Develop press releases, email updates, and other related communication for events and promotions;
• Work directly with advertisers to create content.
6. Board Meetings/Other Organizational Tasks.
• Provide promotions reports as needed for the Executive Director to be included in communications to the Board of Directors.
• Ensure the President of the Board has meeting minutes from all Promotions Committee meetings before bi-monthly Board meetings.
• Record minutes during board meetings in the absence of the Secretary;
• Attend quarterly and annual meetings/conferences for Maryland Main Street, Maryland State Arts Council, etc. wherever possible.
• Accompany the Executive Director to major stakeholder meetings, presentations, etc., wherever possible.
The FrostburgFirst staff is comprised of 1 full-time position, the Executive Director/Main Street Manager; 1 part-time position, the Promotions/Communications Coordinator, as well as student interns and volunteers when available. All staff members are expected to serve where needed and adapt when circumstances require a change in regular operations.